Hearing to Review the Columbia River Treaty Draft Recommendations: Portland
The United States recently released its draft recommendations for updating the Columbia River Treaty. Established 50 years ago, the treaty created a framework for establishing and maintaining hydroelectric dams in the Upper Columbia River basin. Now the treaty is being updated to reflect 21st century priorities. In a win for environmental groups, the draft recommends:
- Restoring the Columbia River ecosystem
- Improving flood management to mitigate damage to salmon habitat and promote healthy fish populations
- Making adaptation and flexibility in the face of climate change a key priority
- Partnering with Canada on a new program to improve fish passage so that salmon and other migrating fish can reach their traditional Canadian spawning grounds.
For the full text of the recommendations, visit: http://www.crt2014-2024review.gov
This fall, you’re invited to weigh in on the Draft Recommendations and provide your feedback at public meetings to help finalize the United States negotiating position. We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to turn the Columbia River Treaty into a powerful tool for promoting salmon recovery and combating the effects of climate change. Make your voice heard!
Bonneville Power and the Army Corps of Engineers will hold public hearings on Columbia River Treaty review in Portland on October 16.
When: Wednesday, October 16 from 2:30-5 PM
Where: BPA Rates Hearing Room
1201 N.E. Lloyd Blvd., 2nd floor
(across MAX tracks from Holladay Park, east of the parking garage; not the BPA Headquarters building)
The Rates Hearing Room will be available ten (10) minutes before the start of the meeting.
For more information and background on the Treaty Review, please visit Columbia River Treaty Review background and overview fact sheets.
For information on the Columbia River Treaty 2014/2024 Review
Can't attend the meeting? You can still:
- Submit your comments online until October 25 at: www.bpa.gov/comment
- Mail your comments to: CRT Review (DKE) P.O. Box 14428, Portland, OR 97293.
- Participate remotely by phone: Use call in number: 1- 203- 310- 9184, or toll-free 1- 866- 714- 2142 Use Access code: 3737668# NOTE: Please dial *6 to mute and unmute your phone. The meeting facilitator will use the “mute all” and “unmute all” controls at appropriate times during the meeting to help keep the conversation on track. Please don’t use the “hold” feature of your phone, since this may disrupt other callers’ ability to hear the conversation.
- Participate online and submit questions via the web:
- Download and install Microsoft Office Live Meeting. Visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=90703
- Click here between 2:30 - 5 PM October 16 to join the Portland CRT Round Table Meeting,